Image from: Idea go

If you’re not living in an energy-efficient laneway house during this chilly season, now is the time to think about keeping those blustery storms and drafts out.  Both B.C. and Canada run rebate programs for making your home more efficient, and with the federal eco-Energy grants running out March 31, you will want to get started now.  Yes, you can benefit from BOTH the provincial AND the federal programs as long as you meet the eligibility critieria for both.

So here’s a run-down on what to do and how to apply for efficiency upgrade incentives:

B.C. – Live Smart BC

  • get up to $7000 in rebates
  • get $150 off initial energy assessment which usually costs $350.

Here’s what to do:
1.  Hire a certified energy advisor to make a pre-retrofit energy assessment to your home.
2.  Make your energy-efficiency improvements to the home
3.  The advisor will then make a post-retrofit assessment and handle all the paperwork necessary.  Assessment must be completed by March 31, 2013.

Canada – ecoEnergy Retrofit – Homes program

  • Until March 31,  get grants up to $5000.

Here’s what to do:
1. Register with Natural Resources Canada
2.  Hire a local service organization licensed by NRCan and get a pre-retrofit assessment
3.  Make your energy-efficiency improvements to the home
4.  Get a post-retrofit evaluation no later than March 31, 2012.  You must show all receipts at this time.
5.  Sign your grant application form by March 31, 2012

What part of the house would you like to have retro-fitted?



By | 2016-11-15T09:05:58+00:00 January 23rd, 2012|How to Live Green While You Live Small|

Leave A Comment